Mindfulness is the practice of deliberately bringing your full attention to the present moment. And right now, mindfulness is in huge demand by organisations seeking to improve workplace performance. From the Irish Rugby team to the manager of the world’s largest hedge fund, there seems to be something in it for everyone, everywhere.
Here are 5 reasons why it’s worth considering mindfulness for your workplace:
1) Increase in employee focus – research shows that a mindfulness practice improves our ability to focus on a chosen area and to screen out distractions. And with the news that multitasking can result in a productivity loss of up to 40%, monotasking is a valuable skill to learn.
2) Decrease in stress – people who practice mindfulness for as little as 5 minutes a day reported significantly reduced stress levels. One company reported a drop of 71% in absences related to stress and anxiety – that’s a change you’ll notice on the bottom line.
3) Boost in executive brain function – studies have shown that in as little as 8 weeks, mindfulness increases activity in the prefrontal cortex of the brain, responsible for assessing value, decision-making, problem solving, emotion regulation and other higher-level functions.
4) Stronger immune response – a groundbreaking study showed that practicing mindfulness meditation increased the immune system’s ability to fight off illness. Imagine that: your entire workforce, stronger.
5) Increase in resilience – for innovative companies, the ability to bounce back after adversity is a must. Less mental shutting down and emotional wallowing means more energy available to get up, dust yourself off and try again.